Thursday, June 26, 2014

~ Gone With The Wind ~





"The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading. In order to write, a man will turn over half a library, to make one book."
                                                                 -Samuel Johnson

I've been a nerd for a long time. For as long as I can remember, I preferred to be nose-deep in a book than almost anywhere else. My very first GROWN UP books were these charming stories about Donna Parker. I still have the complete set. Actually I have two complete sets, but who's counting? I adored these books and the girl I was when I read them. I also had and have the Annette Funicello series and Janet Lennon, and several other single titles. They meant so much to me, that I spent a good deal of time tracking them down through e-bay and antique stores over the years, until I completed my quest of gathering all the titles I could remember. For many years now, they've shared sacred space on my library book shelves.They take their rightful place, along with all the other important books. When ever my eye wanders over their colorful spines, it just makes me happy. And every once in awhile, I'll read one just for the fun of it. They still leave a sweet taste in my mouth. Did you know there are Pinterest boards devoted to Donna Parker? Seems as if she cast her happy spell on a lot of tweens in the sixties. Good times. Sigh.



Of course I graduated, to bigger stories. I've always been a sucker for a good biography. Then one day in the fifth grade I lugged home Gone With the Wind. My mother, clucked "what in the world are you doing with that thing?" Of course, it was way over my head. But somehow I was still swept away to the south and the civil war and I knew enough to know I held something special in my hands.


Holding all of these wonderful words in my hands, left a mark on me. The ink of a thousand pages stained my soul. I fell in love with words. And the way someone with skill could twist them and bend them into shapes I'd never seen. Mark Twain, had me laughing out loud. Jane Austen, chasing after Mr. Darcy, and Pat Conroy had me in awe as he painted pictures of his beloved low country.

It didn't take long before I knew I would rather play with words, than other toys. At thirteen I wrote my first novel, and I've never looked back. I understand what I feel about something after the words have pushed themselves down through the fingertips and onto the page.

Today as I edit away on my current manuscript...I thank Donna, Annette, Amelia, Florence, Scarlett and so many others for capturing my imagination all those years ago and leading me on an adventure of a lifetime.

Can you relate?
 Tell me about your early book affairs.... 









3 comments:

  1. GWTW is one of my favorites and my first book "lover." I've read it 37 times. I hate the movie. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 37 times??? That's a love affair !! :) Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  2. GWTW is my all-time favorite fiction! The first book I can ever remember reading on my own was "Beth's Happy Day" by Phyllis Ochocki. Beth's kindness to others on her own birthday really affected me and has stuck with me my whole life, even if it has been subconscious.

    I was obsessed with the "Little House" books and when the show came on, I was elated, although I would be upset when the show veered off canon. I'm sure my family was sick of me sputtering "That's not in the book!" every episode. LOL.

    Donna Parker books were not a part of my childhood, but Nancy Drew was. I remember a family trip to Oklahoma in our RV and reading Nancy Drew books all the way down on the top of the bunkbed. We hit a pothole, I flew up and my head hit the ceiling, and Nancy flew across the RV, losing a couple of pages in her flight. I was more worried about the titian-haired sleuth than I was about my noggin. :-)

    I totally get your obsession!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. So sorry you have to jump through a hoop to leave a response...but evil spammers ruin it for everyone.